Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Wind Bloweth Where It Listeth

As I leave the church and cross the parking lot, I feel the wind of the coming spring blow about me, weaving and slithering around my head, blowing my hair in odd angles and formations, making my hair look and feel like a doll's.  The wind encircles my body, too, swirling about my arms and legs, pulling my sleeves and pants legs about as if I were swimming in water. 

The sensation brings to mind a warm summer day years ago, standing on a boat dock on a lake.  It was one of those rare moments when I took the time to slow down, look about and observe the beauty of this world, and drink in with all of my senses Life.  I watched as the wind created swirls on the water's surface -- the only visible evidence of the wind's presence.  I recall ...
The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”  (John 3:8)
The power of wind: think of what Man can do when he harnesses the power of the wind -- windmills to generate power, kites and planes to entertain and transport him, he can sail ships across lakes and oceans.  Think what we can do when we harness the Wind.

The wind blowing through the trees -- one of Life's most beautiful sounds.  The gentle rustling is calming, and yet in a storm, the furious creaking and buzzing of trees is alarming. 

Do we ignore God's voice when He "creaks and buzzes" in warning in our ear? 

Do we even notice when the Wind calmly "rustles" in our ear, whispering peace?

Think of those stormy days of incredible wind, when walking against it is difficult.  How many times have we willfully pushed against the Wind, wanting to go our own way and against God's? 

I smile to recall an old joke about the man from notoriously windy Oklahoma who got on a train and went to Texas.  After arriving at his destination in less breezy Texas, people around him marveled as they watched the Oklahoman occasionally fall down. 

"What's with him?", asked one man.  "Is he drunk?"

"No," replied his friend.  "He's from Oklahoma.  He's used to always leaning into the wind.  Here without the wind, he keeps losing his balance and falling down."

Lame, I know, but think about how the Wind supports us.  If we are used to having the Wind to lean against, we take solace in the Wind's support.  Without the Wind we, in contrast, repeatedly fall down.  We can't stand alone without the Wind's support.

Perhaps the Wind blows harder than at other times in our life, making our journey more difficult.  But, perhaps the Wind is directing our steps to keep us out of serious trouble.  Without the Wind, we lose our way, stumble and fall.

Wind is beautiful.  Some women complain that it "ruins their hair."  I've never worried about that.  I love the sensation of the wind blowing across my face and wreaking havoc with my "do."  I imagine the Wind being God's Hand brushing my cheek, playfully tousling my hair, tickling my ear with His Word, pushing, leading and accompanying me in different directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts that advertise products or services or those that are vulgar will not be published.